Photo editing for beginners can be intimidating: sophisticated photo apps overwhelm beginners with a multitude of features. You want easy photo apps that allow you to start editing immediately without the need for an online app course.
With that in mind, we’ve chosen five of the best photo editing apps out there for beginners. They’re by no means the only mobile apps available, but they’re ones we feel provide an easy introduction to basic photo editing.
Adobe Photoshop Express
- Auto fixes and quick edits
- Rotate and flip
- Red eye removal
- Slide controls for clarity, contrast, exposure, and more
- Panoramic photo editing
- Frames and borders
- Over twenty filters
- Social media integration.
The basic app is free, and can be downloaded at the Apple App Store and Google Play. As your editing skills advance, you can unlock more advanced features with in-app purchases.
PicsArt Photo Studio
PicsArt Photo Studio is free for iOS and Android devices, and includes a host of easily-applied editing tools, including an impressive 93 filters. It’s large amount of tools include exposure and color settings, textures, shape masks, and brush types. You might not use everything PicsArt provides, but such a large number of features is impressive for a free app. Like Adobe Photoshop Express, some features require in-app purchases.
Easily one of the best photo editing apps available for beginners, SnapSeed is another free app for iOS and Android. SnapSeed offers basic features budding photo editors need to master before graduating to more advanced features, including:
- Autocorrect for color, exposure, and contrast
- The ability to tweak ambiance, shadows, highlights, and more
- Tools that allow you to highlight and focus specific areas of a photo
- Area-specific brush tools
Some of the best photo editing apps have limited applications, but what they do, they do well. TouchRetouch is a case in point. Available at the Apple App Store and Google Play, TouchRetouch has tools for removing unwanted objects and blemishes from your photos, including glare, shadows, lights, backgrounds, buildings and more. simply trace the object you want removed with your finger, and tap the start button to remove it.
TouchRetouch also includes features to remove and even out facial imperfections. The app offers unlimited undo and redo options, and maintains photo quality to ensure you don’t get the distortions which are common in many images after editing.
Impressively, VSCO allows users to sync and edit photos over multiple devices, so you can start editing on your phone and finish on your iMac or iPad. The app keeps high resolution versions of your photos even after multiple syncs and edits, and boasts an excellent photo library.
For iOS and Android users, Instasize allows you to create collages, edit photos, make videos and add text, stickers and borders. Instasize is the only app to combine a photo editor, collage maker and video editor into one easy to use interface.
You can either chose the free or premium option:
- Advanced picture and video editing tools created with AVA Technology
- Easily make collages and layouts with your photos
- Crop your photo to the perfect ratio or use the free form tool
- Create and organize edits with your own photo grid
- Resize picture and video with borders to fit within Instagram and Facebook
- Edit your picture and video in either full or resize mode
- Add text to your photo and video with multiple fonts
- Capture a bigger picture with their full screen camera
- Save picture and video at high resolution
- Access to all next generation filters built with AVA Technology
- Exclusive photo and video filters only available on Premium
- Fast ad-free photo and video editing experience